Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 2 - Kathmandu to Khandbari

We started the day with a good breakfast at the Harati hotel. They had a buffet breakfast with bacon and eggs on offer. Devraj collected us from the hotel and dropped us to the Kathmandu domestic terminal. First time in the domestic terminal was interesting. There's not much concept of queuing in Nepal but the skill honed in Irish bars over t he years made getting to the checking counter easy enough. You do have to pay a departure tax before you go to the airline counter. There is a bank counter in the far right corner of the terminal where you pay this fee - a couple of hunder rupees per person.

The flight to Tumlingtar was 40 minutes with broken views of the himalaya and Everest on the way. We soon landed at Tumlingtar airport.

The airport building was a gentle reminder that you are in one of the poorer countries in the world. I suspect the redbrick add-on is a result of the maoist uprising.

We were the only western tourists on the plane. It was quite obvious that we were getting off the usual tourist circuit. When we arrived Elaine was keen to get to get a picture of the nice local dress this lady was wearing. She was trying to sneak a picture with the lady in it when the lady came and asked could she have a picture with the nice western lady, I guess another reminder that we were off the usual tourist routes.

We were very happy to meet Tejanath waiting at Tumlingtar airport. For the first time we knew that MAST was a real organization and our trek would be a success. Tejanath (in the centre) was waiting with the two guides who would accompany us on the trek. The guides names were Madden (2nd from right) and Bardur (far right) but I soon named them longman and strongman. I think they liked their new names as they addressed each other as longman and strongman for the rest of the trip.

We stopped for a quick beer in Tumlingtar and then caught a jeep to Khandbari. The trip was only about 6 miles but the roads were unpaved and washed out. It was quite a rough journey.

When  we arrived in Khandbari we went to Tejanath's house where we would be staying. His wife, Tulasa, prepared a lunchtime snack of omelette's, beaten rice and potato - really a full meal.

This is the street just outside Tejanath's house. The original water main ran down the centre of the road bud didn't survive the introduction of cars to the region about 7 years ago. The new water main is just laid down the side of the road. 

Walking around the town was the first time meeting Nepali kids. They were always keen to pose when they saw the big camera I was carrying.

This is the main square in Khandbari.

When we returned to Tejanath's house Tulasa prepared the evening Dal Bhat.

This is the meal that nearly all Nepali people eat twice a day, though this is a very good Dal Bhat with more variety than what we often saw.          The Dal is the lentil soup. This is the primary source of protein in the Nepali Diet. Consistency of the soup varied greatly ranging from watery soup to a bowl of beans. Dal was always accompanied by Bhat - a heaping pile of rice. At least one other vegetable, usually Alu (potatoe) was served with the Dal Bhat.
After eating twice already on this day I really struggled to eat my dinner. It didn't help that Tulasa was always ready to top up your plate as you ate.

Weather - One Hat Day

Was very warm in Khandbari when we arrived.

3 Cups for Sure
Tulasa looked after us so well.


  1. such a nice blogcause here share some information & Experience on Kathmandu to Khandbari. i always surf net in a day for getting good and unique contact
    and after a long time i find something new. Thanks.

  2. Like your introduction to Khandbari. Intend going there some time in October this year.